Home|Contact|Map|History

Merola greenhouse

The Monumental Greenhouse is a stone structure next to the northern outside wall and positioned at the same level as the main entrance to the Botanical Garden. Work started on its construction in 1808 and was finished around 1820.  Initially  known as the “Temperate heater” the Monumental Greenhouse presents itself as a neo-classic style building whose aspect is inspired by the 18th century “Orangeries” that is where the citrus fruit were kept during the cold season in countries with a rigid climate. A rectangular structure which is 48 metres long and 11 metres wide.

Merola greenhouse

Merola greenhouse

The façade has Doric grooved columns, separated by seven arcades which are enclosed by wooden framed windows and that open out  rolling on a central pivot. On the higher part of the façade there are 30 visible metopes illustrating, with every probability, some of the species cultivated in the Garden at the beginning of the 19th century. Recently the Monumental Greenhouse has undergone a complete restoration by the Superintendence of the Environmental Department of Naples resulting in the installation of a heating system. Now this structure, where numerous tropical and subtropical species are grown is dedicated to the memory of Prof. Aldo Merola.

 
Copyright © Orto Botanico di Napoli, Università degli Studi di Napoli Federico II